Monday, April 12, 2010

Relay For Life

With two months left until our event, things are starting to get interesting. We're leaps and bounds above where we were at this point last year. Granted, our event was a month earlier last year. But that's still a good sign, right?

22 teams, 127 participants signed up so far (and almost one new registrant every day!). About a hundred dollars shy of raising $28,000.00 so far!

Our RedHat Angels team is completely dominating the fundraising--over $12,000.00 and they still have big fundraisers planned! It's amazing. They are unstoppable! Haha, at least I know I can't catch them. I'm keeping my team's $10,000.00 goal in sight, and we've got about 2 months to raise the last $2,000.00 or so.

Even more important than that, I want our event to be successful--I want us to hit our goals. Last year we were one of the only Relays in the region to come close to making goal. ($53,000 raised out of a $55,000 goal... so close!!) Somehow we were a success story. It was pretty cool.

This year, the ACS set our goal at $57,000. Not too much more than last year. But that's such a big number. And it's difficult to get people involved, or even to get those who are already involved to raise money. I want us to make goal this year. (Besides, the theme is superheroes... It's like a Relay geek's dream!)

I've been thinking a lot about this Relay For Life event. I'm so happy to have been a part of it for so long. Of course, I never feel like I do a good enough job running it. And that's not even taking into account the weather that I can't control. But either way, for 5 years this has been a big part of what I do with my time. And I've been in charge for 3 of those years. It might be time to step aside.

I'm not talking about walking away, per se. But I think it's time for someone else to take the reins. New blood, new ideas, new leadership. A volunteer event like this shouldn't be run by the same person or people for years at a time. Someone needs to step up!

Having a team and participating in the event are still important to me. I actually wonder what it would be like to attend the Relay and not have to run around making sure everything is progressing smoothly. To actually attend a Relay with my family and friends... Walk the track... Sit down when I want to! Haha. How different that would be?

It's been a great experience. And I'm not necessarily sold on "retirement." But it might be time. And perhaps a new opportunity will present itself.

Plus, it would be sort of fun to go out on top, giving this city the best Relay it's ever seen. I might even allow that sense of accomplishment sneak up on me.

Here's to a $57,000.00 quest!

1 comment: