Friday, September 28, 2007

RSS-ing

I jumped into the RSS feeds when I signed up for a Gmail account. I didn't check out Bloglines much more than the links provided because I already set up the Google Reader and have been utilizing that tool.

One nice thing about setting up a Google Reader is they have bundle feeds. So, for instance, there is a News bundle which has feeds to BBC News, ESPN, Google News, etc. You can subscribe to these preset bundles, then add websites to the already existing bundles, or create your own. I stumbled across some cool photography websites this way through one of their packages. It's also pretty easy to manage the subscriptions. There aren't too many websites I visit every day, so it wasn't hard to just go through and subscribe to them. I didn't even have to look for the RSS icon (which was pretty easy to spot once you're actually looking for it) since the Mac has the RSS option right in the address bar.

Pretty much the only sites I haven't subscribed to are the news sites. Seeing as how news is updated quite frequently, I still find it easier to just hop over to CNN, Commondreams or wherever and check out the headlines. Other than that, it has been an overall timesaver.

1 comment:

Emily said...

hm. I should consider this. I spend a significant amount of time on my daily websites when i get to work (shh!)