Tuesday, October 6, 2009

May angels lead you in

I recently received a text from one of my college friends about a woman we used to work with. She passed away during the summer at the age of 50 from the cancer which had spread throughout her body.

I hadn't seen her in years, and I don't even remember the last time I talked to her [I remember sending an email or two after graduation, but never really got a response.] She was a pretty cool lady, and while she was a boss, she was one of those who always had a smile, wasn't tyrannical, and made working in retail as bearable as I've ever found it to be.

I especially remember how great she was the summer before my senior year, when my grandfather passed away and I was unable to go home for the funeral. You just know sometimes that people care about you. Even if it's just for those small moments in time.

This all hit a bit harder because the thought of a woman younger than my mother succumbing to cancer is not something I would like to think about now.

But in light of this sad news, some good news today. The chemo is working, and while I don't have any details yet, we look to be on the right path. Hopefully we'll stay that way.

May angels lead you in, Martha. And thank you.

No comments: