Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vacate the premises

Scheduling vacation at my job is a hassle, in part because all vacation needs to be settled and approved usually by February. Sure, you can attempt to change a day or two but only if you're lucky enough to have it not interfere with anyone else's approved time off.

I usually try to pack long weekends towards the end of the year (mostly because vacation is pro-rated, and if I get lucky enough to leave, I don't want to owe them hours or money). This year though, I actually scored a whole week off in September. The desire to travel somewhere is quite strong. But I feel stuck. Why? Because, I don't really like traveling alone. Or rather, I'd rather share a new place or new experiences with other people. The actual getting to where I'm going isn't the issue. It's the what to do when I get there.

This year, half of my friends are broke or getting married or buying houses, making them monetarily unable to partake in such adventure. The others have either scheduled their own vacations and asked me to take part after the fact ["We're all going to do THIS! You should come too! What? You can't take that time off? Well we already have everything booked, so try anyway."] if I was privileged enough to be included at all. Rock on.

I have 10 days to do SOMETHING! Hawaii? Haha. That part of me that wants to say "Screw it, peace out," and bounce to what I have built up in my mind to be paradise is all over this idea. I'd love to go there and scope it out--Kauai!?--and seal the deal or burn through my own illusions. San Diego? Seattle? Santa Fe? Hell, Italy and finally get my passport stamped with something? Haha. There are even these "Volunteer Vacations" all over the place, but the problem with those is they usually require more time--anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. I won't get into prices, or how for the cost I should just go to Hawaii.

So I don't know. It's frustrating, and I know it's sort of silly. I shouldn't let an opportunity pass because I don't want to go alone (hahaha, boo hoo, right?). I'm looking for some sort of sign! And, you know, the right idea to splash into my totally otherwise occupied mind.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Europe. You only live once, and long vacations are hard to come by.

Dylan Duncan said...

Hawaii! but yes, Europe too. hell, do both.