Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Graveyard Book

I read this novel by Neil Gaiman (finally) on the snow day on Monday. It was awesome. I'm not going to try and write a book review, but it's sort of like The Jungle Book with dead people. Kinda. Anyway, it's a fast read and an interesting story and would receive a 2 thumbs up from the mikaroni school of book reviews. What I did want to share is a lullaby from the story, which I thought was pretty cool and something I would think of singing to my children one day (when no one was listening). [The character who sings it can't remember the last lines until the end of the story. When she finally sings it, her son is talking to her which adds a little more emotional emphasis not present here.]

"Sleep my little baby-oh
Sleep until you waken
When you wake you'll see the world
If I'm not mistaken

Kiss a lover
Dance a measure
Find your name
And buried treasure

Face your life
Its pain, its pleasure
Leave no path untaken"

No comments: