Sunday, February 8, 2009

On a clear day...

I caught the end of a Scrubs episode before. It was from their second season, entitled My Philosophy. Part of the episode deals with a patient who is waiting for a heart transplant and her interaction with J.D. The patient, Elaine, has come to terms with the two possible outcomes, and she's not afraid of dying. What bothers her is the waiting.

J.D. asks her what she thinks death is like. She hopes it's like a big Broadway musical, with people dressed up and singing and going out with a flourish. J.D. on the other hand thinks it's more like a game of dodge ball, where you get nailed by the big guy, wake up in the hot nurse's office and "when she leans in to put that bandage on your nose, you get the feeling that something could actually happen if you just take the chance and bury your face in her knockers."

Towards the end of the episode, Elaine does die. As the doctor and nurses try to revive her, the scene fades to Elaine in Broadway-esque dress and she starts to sing "Waiting For My Real Life To Begin," (by Colin Hay) followed by the rest of the Scrubs cast. I actually know the song (and it almost made it onto my playlist!) but I don't remember hearing it in the context of this episode. It's poignantly sad and beautiful at the same time.

I love the lyrics. And how that one part utilized in the episode can relate to death not being the end, but the possibility of it being a new beginning. Maybe even a more important beginning?

"Don't you understand
I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin"

And as Elaine sings, "On a clear day, I can see... see a very long way," the scene fades back to the bed and we lose her.

Chills. Not for the loss perhaps, but for the pregnant possibility...

4 comments:

Greg said...

I remember that one - it was a great episode.

I used to wonder whether death was at all like the Sixth Sense, and if there was any way to know what side you were on.

When I would teach about practical consciousness (the consciousness that drives routine-oriented behavior, which doesn't require our focused attention), I'd use the example of zoning out while driving: At some point during a drive, you "snap back" to alertness, and wonder how long you've been out of it.

But the Sixth Sense would be nagging in the back of my mind: How do you know if you've "snapped back," or crashed through the windshield in a fatal collision? If the Sixth Sense is right, you'd never know. You'd just keep on driving...

mikaroni said...

I don't think I'd like death to be like the Sixth Sense. I'm confused enough as it is! I can't imagine trying to have to figure out if I'm actually dead or not.

That practical consciousness stuff is pretty interesting though. I don't know of anyone who hasn't zoned out while taking a drive. It used to bug when I snapped back--the thought that I SHOULD have been paying attention more closely.

I see what you're saying though. It's an interesting concept. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Greg said...

It's from Anthony Giddens, if I remember correctly. Three types of consciousness: discursive (what we typically think of as "thinking"), practical (routines), and unconsciousness.

Beyond that, I'd have to dig out my notes from grad school. :)


I should probably clarify, too...I don't think I WANT death to be like the Sixth Sense, I just sometimes used to wonder if it was like that.

mikaroni said...

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I suppose that we don't have much control over what it's going to be like either way.

You don't have to dig out your notes. Unless you think it would be worthwhile party conversation. ;)