Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Obama

I watched pieces of Obama's address after work tonight. I find it slightly off-putting how many standing ovations the guy got. I mean, yeah, I think he's awesome. And the fact that he has totally energized a huge portion of the population, not to mention the world, is no small feat. He has promised so much and on one hand, it's refreshing to hear someone say, "Enough is enough, let's get our shit together," after... Well... You know.

But.

It's one thing to promise something and another thing to pull through. I know he can't do it alone and that there has to be support from other areas of government and such. But he's still a new relationship. We're still smitten! It's still fresh and exciting and the promise of continued positive change and happiness down the road is almost palpable. But will he sneak a kiss with someone else behind our backs? Will he betray our trust?

Here's to our hope and our future. Here's to the president that swept so many of us off our feet. May he really be the guy we're looking for.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Every president gets a ton of standing ovations. Watch Bush's 9/11 speech, for example.

My only complaint with Obama is that, so far, he's been almost too inclusive of Republicans. The party of Eric Cantor and Mitch McConnell is almost exclusively obstructionist now. They're not interested in governing...at all. They're just interested in stopping Obama and Democrats, regardless of what they're trying to do. Obama & Co. could be pushing a uniformly conservative agenda, and they'd still be voting "no."

Think about it...Republicans have lost (and lost big) in the last two elections (2008 and 2006). If Obama succeeds at all, they stand to lose again in 2010 and probably 2012. In a sense, the Republican Party is completely irrelevant right now. The public has a low opinion of it, and attributes to it much of the blame for the current financial crisis. They NEED Obama to fail, and the only way to do that is to vote "no" - on everything

mikaroni said...

I hate politics. Why are we so committed to seeing the other guy fail?

As for ovations... I don't think I've ever watched Bush speak for more than a few minutes. Even after 9/11. I'd check CNN or something to catch the gist of it.

I'm going to have to bounce all my political analysis (or lack thereof) off of you. Maybe I'll start understanding it more...