Monday, April 27, 2009

GSK does Relay?

As I mentioned, my staff partner is on the other side of the world, but our sub was supposed to meet me at GSK this morning for a meeting with what I thought would be potential Team Captains. I was a little nervous, as I usually am when I'm on the spot like that, but I thought, "What the hell, I got this stuff down and I'll have backup."

But! Back-up was late getting there, and when they came to get me I find myself quite alone. I figured I tell them I wasn't ready or ask them to wait. So I was lead through the building to this meeting room. And what sight do I behold?

20 people, sitting in a horse-shoe shape staring at me.

If there is at least 1 thing I'm thankful that the library has taught me, it's how to hold my own when I'm put on the spot. I'm not the most elegant speaker, and I drop more "Ums" than I'd like to admit, but I nailed most of that stuff. When ACS help got there, she didn't even have to bail me out. Sure she added some stuff, but I handled most of it without throwing up or passing out. (Not that I've ever done either of these while on stage, but I'm sure if I thought about it enough I could.)

It has probably also given me the tools I need to be comfortable enough to chair an event like this and talk to people and all that.

Blast you library! Am I really indebted to you??

4 comments:

Greg said...

That's awesome, Mike. There's a weird sense of accomplishment after successfully and effectively speaking in front of a room full of people. It's like, all you did was talk, which you've done countless times before...but in a professional setting with 20 people staring at you, there's a feeling of "Yeah, I nailed that." Good job!

mikaroni said...

Thanks, bro!

Kate J said...

good for you, buddy. :) it's nice to be able to look back and realize "...wow. that mattered.." in more ways than one. life is about others, but it's about yourself too.

p.s. "ah, to waste a weekend." ...i obviously had to reject that comment on my blog, which is connected to my library's website and advertise to those same teens that did in fact attend the reception. haaa. :)

mikaroni said...

touche. =)