Thursday, April 16, 2009

Naked People!

Tomorrow I'm going to head into the city for an overnight figure drawing event at Pratt! I say that with both excitement and a little bit of trepidation.

I still find the big bad city to be a little too intimidating. I'm fine once I'm there, so maybe part of it is like my issue with travel in general. I just want to be there, I don't want to go to the airport and sit there for hours waiting for the flight to take off. But in this particular case there is a certain flair of social anxiety. Not that I enjoy the wonders of full-blown social anxiety disorder (and I mean, how could I if I run a city-wide event, right?), but I think my discomfort is a little bit more than what's normal given certain sets of circumstances.

What's compounding it this time is the fact that this event will be chock-full of kick-ass artists (I mean, Pratt... c'mon!). This plus the face that I haven't drawn naked people in so long... It's going to be interesting.

Aud proposed this idea earlier in the week, and I talked myself out of and back into it about 10 times. Signs sort of keep pointing toward "You idiot! Go!"

I'm proud of myself for submitting to that contest. And I'm happy that I'm taking steps to rearrange my life. I'm not great at it, but I try to challenge myself to step out of that comfort zone (read: walk into a social situation--or any situation--where I'm so not comfortable).

Just keep my eyes on the naked people. It'll be fun!

"Smile, breathe and go slowly."

No comments: